Vehicle Permits and Services in Winchester
▼ Steps you need to take to buy or sell a used vehicle in Ontario.
Here are some suggestions that will make buying and selling easier
Before you sell a used vehicle, you need to:
- buy a Used Vehicle Information Package
- make sure that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on your vehicle matches the number on your permit (your green ownership document)
- check to ensure the vehicle has no money owing on it
Before buying a used vehicle you should:
- check the vehicle history – including maintenance records
- make sure the seller is the legally registered owner
- make sure the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the vehicle matches the one on the owner’s permit
- request or buy a Used Vehicle Information Package and check the lien/debt information
- look for obvious signs of damage and have your mechanic inspect the vehicle for you
- test drive the vehicle
▼ Register or Transfer a vehicle in Ontario
By law, before you can drive a vehicle on Ontario roads, you need:
- proper insurance for the vehicle
- a permit that says you are the legal owner of the vehicle
- licence plates with up-to-date validation stickers
- Your vehicle must also meet basic safety and emissions standards. Here are some answers to common questions about vehicle permits, licence plates and validation stickers.
▼ Renew Licence Plate Stickers
You can renew a licence plate sticker from 180 days before the expiry date
After a sticker expires, you need to renew it in-person at a ServiceOntario centre.
Any outstanding fines, non-sufficient funds (NSF) fees, and Highway 407 tolls related to your licence plate will be added to your transaction total.
▼ Obtain Licence Plates or Personalized Plates
A personalized licence plate message may contain almost any combination of letters and numbers.
You can also choose to include graphics such as the loon, a trillium, or a logo in support of your favourite Ontario professional sports team, community organization or university.
▼ Temporary Licence Plates
To get a temporary licence plate sticker visit Winchester ServiceOntario centre and bring:
- the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is "fit"
- if the vehicle is registered in your name, the back of the permit must be completed and signed by you
- if the vehicle permit is not yet registered in your name, the back of the permit must be completed and signed by the owner
- proof of insurance that includes the name of your insurance company and the policy number for the vehicle
- if the vehicle is being registered in your name and you wish to attach your own plates bring the existing licence plates (if available) along with the plate portion of the vehicle permit
- if you are registering a vehicle for the first time, you must pay the fees for vehicle registration and the purchase of licence plates including all applicable taxes